Thursday, February 04, 2010

craftiness.


We are a pretty crafty family. We bake, make, sew, knit, paint, craft. But lately the boys have really not been too interested in craftiness, only in science science science! We have had a very fun winter full of science kits, experiments, LEGO, Hexbots, science DVD's, books on topics like robotics/human body/geysers/Yellowstone/money/tangrams, and writing lots of lists and stories. But then - in the past week they both suddenly exploded in a crafty world of painting and making things again!


I recently picked up some more supplies for our craft stash. I got a lot of wood - some smaller figures, and also a lot of raw wood pieces for projects like pine cars, garden signs, and things they can drill, hammer, sand and finish. I also pulled out all of the flowers and herbs we pressed from our garden last summer. All of this sparked lots of new ideas.


There have been many color studies and colorful watercolor paintings.


Lots of paper cutting, embossing, gluing and stamping.


Wood painting and embellishing.


And my favorite thing of the week - peg people making. I got these forms because the boys wanted to make knights. But after another karate belt promotion last weekend, A had the idea to make a series of karate people with different belts/levels of gi. Plus a few ninjas. He has been painting these figures with me for days - a little bit at a time. I love them!


We have been home with a sick boy (A has a nasty cold) this week, so we have had plenty of time to tinker away on our projects, take our time, bake, read and cozy up together. Can't wait to see what we make today!

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love them! Those are people are so great!
I also love all the color... we've been all about color right now, too. :)
Now it's always reds, then after the 14th I always start craving blues, greens and yellows again! Must be nearing Spring....

Sarah said...

I'm in love with the karate people! I think I need to upgrade our stash--we've really moved away from crafting.

Dawn said...

You ARE a crafty family...I love it! Those little karate people are so cute. :)

CodeCrafter said...

The karate people are great! The watercolors are beautiful too.

I was wondering, do you order your craft supplies online or get them locally? If local where from?

I have been looking for good quality watercolors for kids. Any recommendations?

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love the little people- and the candle holders are awesome!

rae ann said...

SO fun! i buy all of our wooden things from this site: http://caseyswood.com/

i'd be interested to know where you get yours from though too...

i'm inspired! my girlies always want to paint and this would be such a fun project!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

So cute! We've all been sick so we've been doing lots of watercolor and painting wood shapes these past few weeks too!! : )

tiff said...

this is fabulous craftiness...i love all that was done at your house for the upcoming valentines day! so festive!

and i so love all the karate peg people...AWESOME-ness!

Sam said...

I love all the rainbows and the karate people are fab :-)

I think we're travelling the other direction, from crafty bits to science-y things!

Sam said...

Wow, your home is so full of lovely art projects. We are currently in a crafting and cooking craze and loving every minute.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very good ideas here:-)

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Those little figures are so great. My son would love them too.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

These are great--you have been busy.

At Thanksgiving we made a ton of people out of clothespins (not even the old fashioned kind, the regular ones with the spring) and my kids loved it. I bet they would like those wooden figures better. Thanks for the ideas!

sarah nadine said...

i as well like your peg people!! love how you share your creativity with your kids ...

slim pickins said...

I love that first wet rainbow painting...just lovely.

we painted wooden napkin rings as presents this winter, and a set for us, and the girls loved it. i have some peg people ready to turn into...gnomes? i don't know - it's never what *i* think it'll be!!

jane said...

wow you´ve been busy. i want to play...